Students Who Are Employed
- Six-month validity reports. Student must confirm the validity of the following information with OIS every six months using the online OIS OPT Employment Reporting System:
- Legal name
- Residential or mailing address
- Employer name and address
- Status of current employment/practical training experience
- Evaluation of Student Progress section on I-983 Form. Student conducts a self-evaluation and employer signs the form. Student submits completed form to OPTSTEM@usc.edu. For more information about the annual self-evaluation, please visit the Students and the Form I-983 page.
Changes to Current Employment Terms and Conditions
Student must submit a revised I-983 Form if there are any “material changes” in the terms and conditions of the original I-983. Email the revised I-983 form to OPTSTEM@usc.edu within 10 days of the change. Material changes or deviations from the original Form I-983 may include, but are not limited to:
- Any change of the employer’s EIN.
- Any reduction in student compensation that is not tied to a reduction in hours worked.
- Any significant decrease in hours per week that a student engages in a STEM training opportunity.
- Changes to the employer’s commitments or student’s learning objectives as documented on the Form I-983.
Changing Employers While on Approved STEM OPT Extension
- Login to the OIS OPT Employment Reporting System
- Shorten employment end date of previous employment
- Enter new employment information
- Email following information to OPTSTEM@usc.edu:
- Once all information has been received and reviewed by DSO, a new I-20 will be issued to student.
Information for Employers
Employers can learn more about the reporting requirements by visiting the Study in the States website.