On March 23, 2018, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) will launch the SEVP Portal. The portal is a tool F-1 students on post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) OPT can use to view and/or report changes to their home address, telephone number and employer information. There is no charge to create a profile or use the SEVP Portal, and it is accessible from mobile devices and computers.
An email with instructions about how to create a SEVP Portal account will be sent to all F-1 students on OPT within the next week.
Important details about the SEVP email and portal registration are below:
- The email will come from email@example.com. If you do not see the email in your inbox, check your spam or junk mail folder
- The email will contain a unique one-time link and cannot be shared
- Click the link to open the SEVP Portal registration page
- This link is only valid for 14 days from the date the email is received
- Your SEVIS ID (located on the upper left hand your corner of current I-20) is required to register for the SEVP Portal
- If the SEVIS ID is entered incorrectly more than three times, the account will be locked
- Make sure you have your current SEVIS ID before registering
The SEVP Portal allows you to:
- View details about your post-completion or STEM OPT
- Report changes to your address, telephone and employer information
- View and update employer information
- STEM OPT students cannot report new employer information via the SEVP Portal
- STEM OPT students must use the OIS OPT Reporting System to report new employer information
- STEM OPT students can report address and telephone information via the SEVP Portal
Information entered in the SEVP Portal is sent to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS); therefore, information must be entered and spelled accurately. Do not contact OIS to confirm if your information has been updated in the SEVP Portal.
If you are currently on approved OPT or STEM OPT and have already updated your address and/or employment in the OIS OPT Reporting System, you do not need to re-enter your employment information in the SEVP Portal. You will have the option to view your existing employment record(s) once registered with the SEVP Portal.
SEVP has created an SEVP Portal help section on Study in the States website with:
- Information about the SEVP Portal
- The SEVP Portal User Guide which provides screenshots and detailed step-by-step instructions for using the SEVP Portal
- SEVP Portal videos
- A useful one-page reference sheet about the SEVP Portal
If you have any questions about the SEVP Portal or need assistance, call the SEVP Response Center at 703-603-3400.