songyu pix

Not ready to say goodbye? Neither are we. 2014 graduate Songyu Zhu is off to Harvard. Read on as she bids farewell to USC.

Story by: Songyu Zhu

Time flows over days and nights. By the time you feel its pace, years have already passed. Entering USC and being called a “freshman” feels like yesterday. Yet today I know that I am going to graduate next week. The senior events seem to come all at once and out of nowhere: the email reminders to take graduation pictures, to order your cap and gown, to attend Senior SCend Off, and somehow, to be ready for the commencement. It’s unbelievably fast. Suddenly tomorrow is right in front of us.

My college life has been so fulfilling and it’s because of the amazing people I met along the way. My professors have inspired me and taught me to challenge myself in new ways. They patiently helped me improve my writing and critical thinking skills, encouraged me to dream freely in the world of history and literature (a formerly foreign land), and guided me to become more empathetic toward the experiences of others. I learned what a truly knowledgeable and passionate scholar looks like thanks to Professors Russett and Rorlich. I learned how to be critical and appreciative towards the history and culture of others from Professor Godart, and found a role model in Professor Harkness– the brightest, wisest and happiest woman I have ever known. I’m no longer afraid to try new languages and ways of life because of my French professors. Le piment de la vie! One day I want to teach and inspire my students the way they have inspired me.

Through all the ups and downs in the past three years, I’m thankful for the good company of my dear friends. I hope we get to realize our dreams together and remain close. I cherish my friendships with a few amazing alumni that that made me feel at home in a new country. Linda, Carol and Kate melted my heart with their brilliance and wisdom. Through our shared passions, they helped me see all the wonderful things Trojan family members can achieve at the university and beyond USC’s campus. These are the just some of the wonderful people who helped me find my voice at USC. I’m thankful that I was able to share my experiences with OIS and the international community.

No matter where I go from here, I will always be the same noisy, bubbly little girl that my parents, grandparents, and family know. They make me who I am today and I think of them in every moment of my life.

Lastly and most importantly, my 熊猫叔叔. Thank you for jumping into my world, and always being there days and nights. You make me happy and my life complete.

Songyu Zhu will walk across the stage at the 2014 Commencement to receive her Bachelor of Arts in History, with a minor in Economics. She is originally from Yuyao, China.