F-1/J-1 students who wish to bring their spouse and/or unmarried children (under the age of 21) to the US as their dependents must request an F-2 I-20/J-2 DS-2019 from USC for each of their dependents. Dependents will need their dependent I-20/DS-2019 in order to apply for the F-2/J-2 visas at the US Embassy in their home country. F-2 I-20/J-2 DS-2019 can be issued for same-sex spouses as long as the country where the couple got married legally recognizes the marriage. For more information on visa applications based on same-sex marriages, please visit the US Department of State’s website. Parents of F-1/J-1 students are not considered dependents and are not eligible for F-2/J-2 visas.

Adding F-2/J-2 Dependents

This section provides application instructions for Dependent I-20s/DS-2019s.

Current F-2/ J-2 Dependents

This section provides important information including travel and study for current F-2/J-2 dependents.