Applying for F-2 Status

Instructions for Prospective/New Students Requesting F-2 Dependent I-20

  1. F-1 students must enter information for each dependent on their admission application*. Failure to completely or correctly enter the dependent information on the online application may delay processing of the F-2 Dependent I-20.
  2. Submit additional proof of financial support ($7,200 for spouse, $3,600 for each child)
  3. The Graduate Admissions Office will process and mail out the F-2 Dependent I-20 and the updated Initial I-20 for the F-1 student to the current mailing address indicated on the online application.
  4. Once the dependent(s) receive the F-2 Dependent I-20(s), they can apply for the F-2 visa(s) at a U.S. embassy/consulate in their home country. Please refer to the U.S. embassy/consulate’s website for a list of required documents for the visa application. To avoid any complications, F-2 dependents should apply for the F-2 visa with F-1 student.

*If the F-1 student has already submitted his/her online application to USC without dependent information but has decided to request a F-2 Dependent I-20, the F-1 student should contact the Office of Graduate Admissions with the following information:

a) Dependent Information (as it appears on dependent’s passport):

  • Surname and Given name
  • Gender
  • Relationship to F-1 student
  • Date of Birth
  • Country of Birth
  • Country of Citizenship

b) Additional proof of financial support ($7,200 for spouse, $3,600 for each child)

c) If the dependent is a spouse, submit a copy of marriage certificate if not married at the time online application was submitted. The marriage certificate issuance date must be earlier than the F-2 Dependent I-20 issuance date.

Instructions for Current Students Requesting F-2 Dependent I-20

  1. F-1 student submits the I-20 Request Form, additional financial documents ($7,200 for spouse, $3,600 for each child) and photocopy of passport of each dependent to OIS.
  2. F-1 student picks up F-2 Dependent I-20 from OIS and delivers them to the dependent(s) either in person or by mail.
  3. The dependent(s) applies for the F-2 visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate in their home country with their F-2 Dependent I-20 along with other supporting documents as required by the embassy/consulate.