Prospective/New Students Requesting F-2/J-2 Dependent I-20/DS-2019
- F-1/J-1 students must enter information for each dependent on their admission application*. Failure to completely or correctly enter the dependent information on the online application may delay processing of the F-2/J-2 Dependent I-20/DS-2019.
- Submit additional proof of financial support ($7,200 for spouse, $3,600 for each child)
- The Graduate Admissions Office will process and mail out the F-2/J-2 Dependent I-20/DS-2019 and the updated Initial I-20/DS-2019 for the F-1/J-1 student to the current mailing address indicated on the online application.
- Once the dependent(s) receive the document(s), they can apply for the F-2/J-2 visa(s) at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate in their home country. Please refer to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate’s website for a list of required documents for the visa application. To avoid any complications, dependents should apply for their visa with the F-1/J-1 student.
*If the F-1/J-1 student has already submitted his/her online application to USC without dependent information but has decided to request dependent documents, the F-1 /J-1 student should contact the Office of Graduate Admissions with the following information:
a) Dependent Information (as it appears on dependent’s passport):
- Surname and Given name
- Relationship to F-1/J-1 student
- Date of Birth
- Country of Birth
- Country of Citizenship
b) Additional proof of financial support ($7,200 for spouse, $3,600 for each child)
c) If the dependent is a spouse, submit a copy of marriage certificate if not married at the time online application was submitted. The marriage certificate issuance date must be earlier than the F-2/J-2 Dependent I-20/DS-2019 issuance date.
Current Students Requesting F-2/J-2 Dependent I-20/DS-2019
- F-1/J-1 student submits the I-20/DS-2019 Request Form, additional financial documents ($7,200 for spouse, $3,600 for each child) and photocopy of passport of each dependent to OIS.
- F-1/J-1 student picks up dependent documents from OIS and delivers them to the dependent(s) either in person or by mail.
- The dependent(s) applies for the F-2/J-2 visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate in their home country with their F-2/J-2 Dependent I-20/DS-2019 along with other supporting documents as required by the Embassy/Consulate.