F-1/J-1 students are given a specific period of time to complete the academic program requirements. Please refer to the program end date that is printed on page one of the I-20 or DS-2019.
Students who are unable to meet the academic program requirements by the program end date must apply for a Program Extension before their program end date. If the expiration date on the I-20/DS-2019 has passed, students must meet with an OIS advisor immediately, as the student is considered to be out of status.
Please allow 7 business days to review and process the program extension request.
To qualify for a program extension, F-1/J-1 students must meet the following requirements:
1. The expiration date of the I-20/DS-2019 has not yet passed
2. Continuously maintained the F-1/J-1 student status
3. The delay in completion of program must be due to one of the following reasons:
- Compelling academic reason (change of major, change in research topic, unexpected research problems, etc.)
- Compelling medical reason (documentation is required from Student Health Center or U.S. licensed medical physician)
4. Must have sufficient funds to cover the additional time needed to complete program requirements, which includes tuition and living expenses of $1000 per month
NOTE: Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for a program extension. Program extensions may affect future CPT eligibility. Please consult with an advisor at OIS.
I-20 Extension Process for F-1 students
1. Obtain the Program Extension Form for F-1 students
2. Receive approval and signature from department advisor
- Engineering Master’s and Ph.D. students must receive approval from their GAPP advisor (OHE 106).
3. Obtain proof of funding: Tuition plus $1000 per month for living expenses through a funding letter or bank statement
4. Submit the Program Extension form along with the proof of funding to OIS at least three weeks before the expiration date of the I-20
DS-2019 Extension Process for J-1 students
1. Obtain the Program Extension Form (Receive approval and signature from department advisor).
- Engineering Master’s and Ph.D. students must receive approval from their GAPP advisor (OHE 106)
2. Obtain proof of funding: Tuition plus $1000 per month for living expenses through a funding letter or bank statement. Dependents require additional funding.
3. Submit the Program Extension form along with the proof of funding to OIS at least one month before the expiration date of the DS-2019.