F/J Students: To begin the application process, students must first obtain a job offer and bring the job offer letter to OIS along with the SSN letter request form. In four business days, an OIS support letter will be prepared for the SSN application. It is not possible to obtain an SSN without this letter.
J-1 Scholars: All Exchange Visitors in the research scholar, professor, and short-term scholar categories are eligible to apply for the SSN by right of their J-1 status.
Required documents for SSN Application at SSA (for F/J Students and J-1 Scholars):
- Application for SS-5 (available at a SSA office or online)
- Valid Passport
- Original SEVIS I-20 (for F-1 visa holders) or DS-2019 (for J-1/J-2 visa holders)
- A printout of your I-94 Arrival/Departure record
- Proof of employment eligibility (such as a job offer letter, I-20 endorsed for CPT, or Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card, or invitation letter for J-1 Scholars
- Social Security Support Letter from OIS (NOT required for J-1 Scholars)
F-1 students on OPT: Apply for a SSN by taking the following original documents to SSA:
- A printout of the I-94 Arrival/Departure record
- OPT I-20
- EAD card
Please note: A SSN letter from OIS is not required for students on OPT.
- The application for an SSN is free of charge
- All documents (except the I-94) must be originals. The SSA does not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. SSA will then verify the documents with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) before assigning a SSN
- Students and scholars must wait at least 10 days after their initial entry into the U.S to begin the SSN application process. The SSA must receive its database update from the ports of entry before the application can be accepted. Additionally, applications cannot begin more than 30 days before the employment start date
- J-1 Scholars: Your department must submit the “check-in” to OIS before you apply for a SSN
- A Social Security number and card will be issued within about two weeks of receiving certification from DHS. In most cases, the SSA can quickly verify the documents online
- Students and scholars are able to begin paid employment while their SSN application is pending by providing the SSN application receipt to their employer. The SSA website addresses this here
SSA Office Locations
The closest SSA office from USC University Park Campus:
1122 W. Washington Blvd. (2nd Floor)
Los Angeles, CA 90007
Take Metro Bus 200 from the northeast corner of Hoover St. and Jefferson Blvd. near USC and exit at the intersection of Hoover St. and Washington Blvd.