OIS has teamed up with Sprintax to provide a tax preparation software for non-residents at USC. Sprintax is a web-based tax return preparation system designed exclusively for foreign students, scholars, teachers, researchers, trainees, and their dependents to aid in preparing US federal and state income tax forms (returns). Recent USC graduates on OPT and OPT STEM can also use Sprintax. There is no obligation to use Sprintax.
What does Sprintax do?
- Calculates the substantial presence test to determine the foreign national’s US residency status
- Checks each type of payment against any applicable tax treaty to ensure that the individual takes advantage of any tax treaty benefits
- Checks to see if the individual is eligible for “away-from-home” expenses (if residing in the US for less than 12 months)
- Completes the correct federal tax form (free of charge)
- Completes the correct state income tax form(s) (fee applies)
- Prepares any additional statements or attachments, as applicable – Form 2106, Form 8843, Schedule C, and/or Scholarship/Fellowship Grant Statement
- Prints the tax return and all additional attachments (please note: the IRS does not allow nonresident aliens to file a tax return electronically)
- Provides detailed instructions about how to submit and which documents to attach to the tax return
- Allows students and scholars who do not have a Social Security Number to request an ITIN using form W-7 (only for students and scholars who are not employed by USC)
Create a Sprintax Account
- Access Sprintax through the secure OIS website portal using your USC Net ID
- Create a new Sprintax account and choose a UserID and password upon login. Make sure to have the following documents and information before logging in to Sprintax:
- Visa/Immigration information, including Form DS-2019 or Form I-20
- Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (if assigned one)
- US Entry and Exit Dates for current and past visits to the US
- Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 (if received)
Contact Sprintax by email at email@example.com or call 1-866-601-5695 for assistance.